Lamb Pumpkin and Chickpea Stew with Raisins
- 4 servings lamb bone in, washed and drained
- 1/2 kg pumpkin. peeled and cut into medium cubes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter samn/ghee or oil
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can crushed sieved tomatoes
- 10 cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 heaped teaspoon ginger
- A few shaiba leaves known as dagad phool in Indian cuisine (optional)
- Salt to taste
In a heavy base pot put ghee, onions, lamb and add ground and whole spices then cook on medium heat. Stir constantly until the onion softens and the oil/ghee is infused with the spices.
Add the sieved crushed tomato and leave on low heat for about 10 minutes, then add about 2 cups of boiling water and cook on medium heat until the lamb is well done (45-60 minutes).
Add the pumkin, raisins and cooked chickpeas, cover the pot and cook for a further 30 minutes. Add water when needed, but a little at a time so the sauce is concentrated.
Serve hot with warm tanoor bread (see recipe) to soak up the sauce.
Lybian food / This recipe was featured on My Halal Kitchen’s post on Traditional Eid Foods