Curried Chicken Pie
- 3 tbsp neutral oil
- 300 g onions yellow, sliced in half moons (about 2 medium)
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper stemmed, seeded and minced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt plus 1/8 teaspoon for optional egg wash
- 1/2 tsp pepper black, freshly ground
- 1 kg chicken breasts, boneless, skinless cut into 2 cm chunks
- 30 g butter
- 250 ml chicken broth
- 250 ml coconut milk full-fat
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 350 g cauliflower florets fresh or frozen (not defrosted)
- 225 g carrots sliced
- 225 g snap peas fresh or frozen (not defrosted)
- 30 g cilantro leaves & stems, fresh, roughly chopped
- 2 pie doughs for a 23 cm deep-dish pie store bought or homemade
- 1 large egg for optional egg wash
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil until shimmering.
Add the onions and stir to coat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until soft, browned and sweet, stirring from time to time, about 30 minutes.
Stir in the jalapeño, cook for 30 seconds, then transfer the onions and jalapeño to a bowl and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper.
Add the chicken and toss to coat.
In the same Dutch oven, add the butter and increase the heat to medium-high. When the butter foams, add the chicken and do not stir until the chicken has browned a bit on the bottom, about 5 minutes.
Stir gently to turn the chicken and continue cooking, until browned here and there, about 5 more minutes.
Pour in the broth, and using, a large spoon, scrape up the tasty bits (fond).
Pour in the coconut milk and sprinkle the curry powder over everything.
Stir to thoroughly combine the sauce, then add the cauliflower and carrots.
Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the vegetables are barely tender and the sauce has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
Add the peas and cilantro, stir well and remove the pan from the stove. Cool to room temperature before filling the pie.
If making the egg wash, in a small bowl, whisk together the egg, 1 tbsp of water and 1/8 tsp of salt until combined.
Bake the pie: Place the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 220° C.
Roll out and place one circle of dough in the pie pan, spoon in the filling, and cover with a second circle of dough. Crimp well. Using a sharp knife, slash 3 or 4 holes in the top crust.
Brush with an egg wash, if using.
Bake for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 180° C and bake for an additional 40 minutes, until the filling is bubbling up through the vents.
Recipe and photograph by https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/05/26/turn-curried-chicken-in-to-a-round-pie-a-slab-pie-or-a-turnover/?itid=sf_voraciously